The earth has only a certain amount of land. The earth itself is 70% water-covered. The remaining 30% is land but a lot of the land is mountains. Itโ€™s a bit more difficult to build a building on the side of a mountain but the Swiss do it rather routinely so we can include the mountains in our analysis of how much room there is on the earth for people to live. It works out to 57.6 million square miles according to University Today. One square mile is a lot of land. Itโ€™s one point six quintillion square feet.

A loose crowd, one where eachย personย is an arm’s length from the body of his or her nearest neighbors,ย needsย 10 square feet perย person. A more tightly packed crowd fills 4.5 square feet perย person. A truly scary mob of mosh-pit density would get about 2.5 square feet perย person. So letโ€™s use 10 square feet per person to see how many people can stand on just the land of the earth. It calculates to 160 quadrillion people. Of course itโ€™s practical to build homes on the water too so the estimate of the number of people who can live on the earth would be even higher than the 160 quadrillion. In addition buildings can have more than one floor and some can have a basement. If each room was 9 feet x 12 feet the average home could house four people in complete comfort. Building on three floors would triple the number of people who could occupy the surface area of the planet and the two thirds of the surface area thatโ€™s left could be used to raise food, build roads, airports and factories. But it’s even better for people when buildings like the 664 foot high Trump Tower are built because it means there is a lot more area on the globe that can be used for other things besides people.ย 

Using just the surface area to calculate the amount of room there is on the earth shows there is over 22,000 times more area on earth than is needed for people. Not double the number of people or triple or even a hundred times more or a thousand times more but 22,000 times more. And if they use high rise buildings to live and work even more land area is useful for non-people use but the idea that the population can increase 22,000 times should be staggering to realize. It means literally that there can easily be 22,000 times as many people on the earth and it gives lie to the idea that the earth is in danger of having too many people. In fact the argument that the earth doesnโ€™t have enough people is a sound idea. So donโ€™t worryโ€ฆ Be Happy. Visit the White House and tell president Trump to build more buildings. It helps more people live even better.ย  ๐Ÿ˜„