There are plenty of arguments against the existence of God but not many against religion. Dr. John Ridpath, a Canadian born high intellectual wrote and presented a paper he titled “Religion vs. Man” where he claimed religion is a deadly opponent against human life. How could that be? How could religion which holds itself out as the center of the moral universe be an opponent of all people? One possible answer is: if it gives wrong advice about how to live a proper life.
Gallup has been polling Americans about religion for 82 years, beginning in 1939. The polling company has been asking, “Do you happen to be a member of a church, synagogue or mosque?” And the answer went from 73% saying “yes” in the early 1940s to only 47% saying “yes” in the early 2020s. It’s a staggering and monumental decline. People don’t abandon good things. They abandon bad things, things that are harmful so they have been abadoning religion
6 reasons religion may do more harm than good by SALON Magazine….
1. Religion promotes tribalism. Infidel, heathen, heretic. Religion divides insiders from outsiders.
2. Religion anchors believers to the Iron Age.
3. Religion makes a virtue out of faith. Faith is belief contrary to evidence.
4. Religion diverts generous impulses and good intentions.
5. Religion teaches helplessness.
6. Religions seek power.